I had the same thought as Malcolm. I had A. junius metamorphose in 120 ml
cups of water; just make sure they have good sturdy twigs to climb out on
(some tried hanging on to the sides of the cup and ending up falling off
and failing to emerge completely). Definitely avoid group-housing them.

The nymphs must occur at much higher densities than the adults in the
field, due to the limited space of the aquatic environment versus the open
air and the numbers that are predated as adults. Also easier to catch and
much less delicate.

If you decide to go the shotgun route, I insist you make a video of this
and share it with us ...

Brad Carlson

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM, malcolm McCallum <
malcolm.mccal...@herpconbio.org> wrote:

> why not collect the nymphs and then raise 'em up. Dragonfly nymphs can
> be raised individually in cups and then fed crickets fairly easily.
> Changing the water daily is worst part.  You could also raise them in
> a communal aquarium, but canibalism could be a problem!
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM, David L. McNeely <mcnee...@cox.net>
> wrote:
> > Aaron, if you are willing to do it, and are a good enough wing shot, a
> 28 gauge shotgun with dust shot works.  Only tiny holes in the wings,
> usually not damaging the taxonomically important features.  However, if you
> need the beasts alive, that is another matter.
> >
> > If your collection location is marsh, a small boat and patience will
> help.
> >
> > Just a thought, no experience with this at all:  Would they entangle in
> a mist net of the sort used for birds?
> >
> > david mcneely
> >
> > ---- "Aaron T. Dossey" <bugoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I need to get ahold of a regular supply, about 10-15 every couple of
> >> weeks, of dragonflies in the genus Anax.
> >>
> >> These seem to be some of the most challenging to get with the standard
> >> daytime netting method, as they land much less frequently than other
> >> species and are almost always over water.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Can they be easily found at night resting, etc.?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Aaron T. Dossey, Ph.D.
> >> Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
> >> Founder/Owner: All Things Bugs
> >> http://www.allthingsbugs.com
> >> https://www.facebook.com/Allthingsbugs
> >> 1-352-281-3643
> >
> > --
> > David McNeely
>

> --
> Malcolm L. McCallum
> Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
> School of Biological Sciences
> University of Missouri at Kansas City
>
> Managing Editor,
> Herpetological Conservation and Biology
>
> "Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" -
> Allan Nation
>
> 1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
> 1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
>             and pollution.
> 2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
>           MAY help restore populations.
> 2022: Soylent Green is People!
>
> The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
> Wealth w/o work
> Pleasure w/o conscience
> Knowledge w/o character
> Commerce w/o morality
> Science w/o humanity
> Worship w/o sacrifice
> Politics w/o principle
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any
> attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
> contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
> [...]

Bradley Evan Carlson
PhD Candidate
Intercollege Graduate Degree Program in Ecology
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802

Email: carb...@gmail.com
http://homes.bio.psu.edu/people/faculty/langkilde/index_files/carlson.htm