From: "Peter Schulze" <pschu...@austincollege.edu>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Are we doomed yet: A journal debate about science, the
practice of sustainability, and communicating issues

I define a sustainable process as one that does not degrade the conditions
or processes that it depends upon.

But, we don't know the effects of our actions well enough to confidently
classify current actions vis-a-vis sustainability (except in obviously
non-sustainable cases). If that is so, then sustainability can only really
be judged in retrospect and an alternative term, such as apparent
sustainability, should be used for assessments of current processes that
look ok but have not stood the test of time. I think I first heard this
point made by Robert Costanza.  Apologies to him if I have botched or
muddled it.

The usual applications of sustainable strike me as practically meaningless
and little more than "greener than some other conventional alternative."
I once heard an architect claim that a brick is sustainable.  She
apparently hadn't read typical accounts of what happened to the forests
around the Indus Valley thousands of years ago.

Pete

Peter C. Schulze, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology & Environmental Science
Director, Center for Environmental Studies

Austin College
900 North Grand Avenue, Suite 61588 | Sherman, TX 75090 USA
Phone 903.813.2284
austincollege.edu