M.S. or PhD opportunity for studies in population and community ecology at East
Carolina
University

 I invite applications from prospective MS and PhD students.  Research in my
lab focuses on a
variety of questions in conservation, population, and community ecology as well
as the
development of experimental and quantitative approaches that help to better
link empirical data to
ecological and evolutionary theory. In my research, I typically take a
mechanistic approach aimed at
understanding how variation in individual traits (e.g. size, stage and
phenotype) scale up to
influence population and community level processes and spatial coupling across
ecosystems.
Within this broader context, my research can be loosely categorized into five
interrelated
conceptual themes; 1) the ecological consequences of phenotypic plasticity, 2)
body size
dependence of ecological interactions, 3) cross ecosystem links formed by the
sequential process
of complex life cycles, 4) understanding predator diversity effects, and 5) the
development of
innovative experimental and quantitative approaches. I work in a variety of
systems including
temperate, tropical, terrestrial, aquatic, and marine ecosystems.

I will consider students with interests in a variety of topics and systems
(including but not
restricted to those in which I work) that address complementary questions in
population and
community ecology, climate change and conservation.

 For additional information about me, my research and the application process
please visit:

http://blog.ecu.edu/sites/mccoym/prospective-students/

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/biology/McCoy_Michael.cfm

 About ECU

East Carolina University is the third largest campus in the University of NC
system and has an
active and well-supported group of faculty working in the areas of ecology and
evolution. Students
accepted into the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in Biological Sciences
will receive at least two
years of support with no teaching obligations and at least five years of
support total, at a very
competitive level.  TA-ships are readily available in two MS programs and
Biology faculty members
also supervise students in ECU's Coastal Resource Management PhD program.
Graduate students
will be encouraged to participate in the newly formed North Carolina Center for
Biodiversity (NCCB)
at East Carolina University.  Goals of the NCCB include training graduate
students in biodiversity
research and providing them opportunities to participate in related outreach.

Students enjoy living in the affordable community of Greenville, NC,
participating in seminar series
and journal clubs that feature research in ecology and evolution, and having
access to several
natural areas, universities and research centers located in central and eastern
NC.  Application
deadlines vary with particular programs but applying early is recommended.
Please visit
http://www.ecu.edu/biology/ to find out more about the Biology department at
ECU and graduate
programs.