I'd say most hawks DO look for prey while flying--as well as when perching--and
it's for sure Golden Eagles do as they soar overhead looking for jackrabbits.
Since Red-tailed Hawks can "hover," I think they'd be especially adept at
spotting prey while on the wing.

Hawk banding stations frequently use tethered pigeons to attract migrating
raptors that, while flying over, see the potential prey on the ground and come
down to get it. There they are caught in mist nets, banded, and released.

Cheers,

BILL

On Sep 21, 2012, at 7:52 AM, J. Michael Nolan <mno...@rainforestandreef.org>
wrote:

> Thanks for this Heather. Read the article and have pasted in some comments
> from the article below. If you watch Hawks, the are "adept soarers". I have
> spent hours watching them ride thermals. It looks like they are having fun? I
> wish I could do that!
>
> Let me say that this Hawk does not look for food when flying, they find their
> food while perched as the quote below states. I have said the before, but in
> terms of eyesight....kind of like being able to read the headline of a
> newspaper from a quarter mile away. At least 8x better than ours. I have
> waited several hours for one Hawk to come down to one of my traps. What is
> amazing is that even using binos or a spotting scope, I could have trouble
> seeing the Gerbil. They don't seem to be too troubled with seeing it.
>
> They do not like to spend time on the ground, but will if they have to. I had
> a Gerbil one time get its leg caught in the mesh of the trap. Hawk came down
> and took the side of Gerbils head off. I released it, the same Hawk came
> down, picked it off and flew off.
>
> Normally, I would use the same Gerbil over and over again. One other sad
> story. Had a great looking Red-tailed Hawk on a power pole. Tossed our trap
> out and nothing happened. Well, the trap ended up right on top of a Fire Ant
> mound. People from the south know all about Fire Ants. I believe, and can't
> remember the whole story. Introduced into the U.S. in the 30's. They don't
> bite, but sting.
>
> Once I had a gorgeous Warbler come in the window of my truck. Hit me in the
> side of the face and then crashed in to back window of my truck. I was just a
> bit lucky that day. Not the same ending for the Bird.
>
> The person who ended up with this Red-tail in their lap was also more than
> lucky. This is an odd/rare situation. You just don't see too many Red-tails
> killed by cars, etc.
>
> http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~gilbert/research/fireants/faq.html
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mike Nolan....see below
>
> "These hawks are active during the day and are adept soarers. They usually
> locate prey with vision from a high perch and swoop down to capture it in
> their talons."
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/hawk-car-connecticut-205632975.html
>
> --
> Heather Renyck
> Bolivar-Richburg School District
> Bolivar, NY
>
> ----------
>
> If we are on another line or away from the phone, please leave your number,
> best time to return your call and your e-mail address.
>
> After hours and weekend phone appointments are available upon request.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> J. Michael Nolan, Director
>
> Rainforest and Reef
>
> ******************************************************************************************
> "Outstanding-Affordable Field Courses in Rainforest & Marine Ecology"

> [...]

P.S. Please "Like" our new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond
for timely updates on nature topics.

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org