An innovative project exists in Washington State partnering scientists with
inmates, the Sustainability in Prisons Project. The SPP has received support
to expand nationally and we are interested in recruiting ecologists and
conservation biologists interested in partnering with local prisons to
expand their research projects.

See the following NY Times article for more information:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/us/raising-frogs-for-freedom-prison-project-opens-doors.html?ref=science

Recent projects have included:

1. raising endangered frogs in prison for release in restoration areas
2. raising rare or endangered plants in prison for restoration and revegetation
3. raising endangered butterflies in prison for release in restoration areas
4. research on predator evasion responses by frogs
5. research on oviposition preferences by butterflies
6. research on smoke-water induced germination of prairie plants
7. research on rates of moss growth in culture

But the possibilities of bringing your research into a prison environment
may be quite limitless! To top it off, the opportunities for doing
innovative science outreach to underserved audiences is fantastic!

Contact me directly if you are interested in being part of a national
network of similar partnerships. We have interest from prison administrators
in many states already and we are gaining steam! -Carri

Carri J. LeRoy, Ph.D.
Co-Director, Sustainability in Prisons Project
Member of the Faculty, The Evergreen State College
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW, Olympia, WA
ler...@evergreen.edu
www.sustainableprisons.org
360-867-5483