My favorite *introduction* to this vast topic can be found in the first few
chapters of Bill Shipley's short book, Cause and Correlation in Biology (2000).
A quote from his book:
 "In fact, with few exceptions, correlation does imply
causation. If we observe a systematic relationship between two variables, and
we have ruled out the likelihood that this is simply due to a random
coincidence, then something
must be causing this relationship."

Lee Dyer
Biology Dept. 0314