GRADUATE STUDIES IN ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION AT EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY

The graduate program in the Department of Biology at East Carolina University
invites applications from prospective PhD and MS students for fall 2013.  East
Carolina University is the third largest campus in the University of NC system
and has an active and well-supported group of faculty working in the areas of
ecology and evolution.  Currently, we have 72 MS students and 24 doctoral
students enrolled in our graduate programs.  Students accepted into the
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in Biological Sciences will receive two
years of support with no teaching obligations and at least five years of
support total, at a very competitive level.  TA-ships are readily available in
our two MS programs and Biology faculty members also supervise students in
ECU's Coastal Resource Management PhD program. Graduate students will be
encouraged to participate in the North Carolina Center for Biodiversity (NCCB)
at East Carolina University.  Goals of the NCCB include training graduate
students in biodiversity research and providing them opportunities to
participate in related outreach.

Our students enjoy living in the affordable community of Greenville, NC,
participating in seminar series and journal clubs that feature research in
ecology and evolution, and having access to several natural areas, universities
and research centers located in central and eastern NC.  Our faculty members
conduct research across the globe and excellent opportunities exist to work in
terrestrial, freshwater, wetland and marine systems.

Application deadlines vary with particular programs but students applying early
will have a greater chance of receiving financial support.  Please visit
http://www.ecu.edu/biology/ to find out more about our department, faculty and
graduate programs.  In addition to visiting departmental and faculty websites,
please contact prospective mentors directly or our director of graduate
studies, Terry West (we...@ecu.edu), for more information.  We are happy to
arrange visits for competitive prospective students and additional scholarship
support may be available for the strongest applicants.

Departmental faculty with expertise in ecology and evolution include:

Marcelo Ardon: Aquatic ecosystem ecology and biogeochemistry.
Chris Balakrishnan: Avian evolutionary and behavioral genomics.
David Chalcraft: Population and community ecology; ecological aspects of
biodiversity.
Robert Christian: Coastal ecosystem ecology and network ecology.
Lisa Clough: Marine benthic ecology (Arctic and Atlantic).
Ashley Egan: Plant bioinformatics, evolutionary genomics and systematics.
Carol Goodwillie: Plant mating system evolution, plant population ecology and
genetics.
Pat Harris: Fish ecology and life history, fisheries management.
Jinling Huang: Evolutionary genomics and bioinformatics.
Claudia Jolls: Plant evolutionary ecology and conservation.
Dave Kimmel: Plankton ecology.
Trip Lamb: Systematics and phylogeography.
Joe Luczkovich: Food web ecology and fish bioacoustics.
Krista McCoy (joining our faculty Jan. 2013): Ecological development and
physiology.
Mike McCoy: Quantitative population and community ecology.
Jeff McKinnon: Sexual selection, speciation, mainly in fish.
Sue McRae: Behavioral ecology and social evolution in birds.
Anthony Overton: Larval fish ecology, fisheries biology.
Enrique Reyes: Landscape ecology, ecological modeling, coastal management.
Roger Rulifson: Fish ecology and fisheries.
Matt Schrenk: Microbial ecology, geo-microbiology.
Ed Stellwag: Vertebrate evo-devo and cis-regulatory network evolution.
John Stiller: Molecular evolution and comparative genomics.
Kyle Summers: Evolution of color, behavior in poison frogs; evolutionary
medicine.
Heather Vance-Chalcraft: Community ecology.
Terry West:  Human impacts on coastal ecosystems.
Baohong Zhang: MicroRNA evolution, comparative genomics, and molecular genetics.
Yong Zhu: Comparative evolution and molecular functions of hormones and
receptors.