I don't think you should be pessimistic.
I think you need to be realistic.

Here is what you need coming out:

1) Teaching experience as the lead instructor (especially things like A&P)
2) Publications before graduation (Even small and minor ones are
important, don't be fooled)
3) Successful grant proposal writing experience (anything from Sigma
Xi to NSF/NIH/EPA etc. will help, getting funded will help a lot!).
4) PResentations at scientific meetings, (Present at all levels from
state academies to national and international.  this is how people see
you can speak).
5) When at meetings present yourself in the most professional manner
that is possible and avoid as best you can gaffs and fauxpauxs (sp?).
6) Meet every deadline in graduate school.
7) get you stuff done promptly, do not allow yourself to sit in grad
school for an excessively long period.  The hoops are there, jump them
and move on.

Anything I missed?

malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry

Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" -
Allan Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
Wealth w/o work
Pleasure w/o conscience
Knowledge w/o character
Commerce w/o morality
Science w/o humanity
Worship w/o sacrifice
Politics w/o principle

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not