Hi All,

I would like to comment on the need for training in teaching mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, and the comment below that students often have little opportunity to gain such training or experience. Things are changing rapidly: many universities now offer programs that provide training specifically aimed at graduate students who expect to have teaching (or outreach) be a significant part of their career. This follows from an increasing awareness that providing rigorous training in one aspect (research) and none in another (teaching or generally communicating science) when both are likely to be crucial components of future careers makes as much sense as training pianists to play with their right hand and expect the left hand to follow along at the first concert (this analogy was first provided by Jo Handelsman in her 2003 article "Teaching scientists to teach", HHMI bulletin 12:31). For example, at my university we have just submitted the paperwork to have a 12-credit Certificate in Teaching and Outreach aimed at graduate students in the sciences. Students who complete this will have practical training in course development, active learning techniques, evaluative techniques etc., they will have completed an internship (with a mentor faculty member in a college classroom, in a K-12 classroom, or in an informal educational setting such as a museum or visitor's center), and they will have a teaching portfolio, including a teaching philosophy statement based on experience rather than just ideas, that should help them obtain employment. Of course this takes more time initially - but in the long run it probably saves time as the level of frustration in teaching is reduced. And of course it should increase the quality of teaching that undergraduates are exposed to in the next generation.

With respect to training in budget management and similar skills: I would strongly encourage graduate students to get together and ask their faculty for skills-based courses. These could be short courses or weekend workshops. It too will save you time in the long run.

Good luck to everyone entering the job market.

Sincerely,
Christa Mulder