The Department of Geography and Environmental Systems (GES) at the University
of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is inviting applications for the PhD and
MS program, to begin enrollment in Fall 2013. The Department is comprised of a
multi-disciplinary group of faculty with an emphasis on examining the dynamic
relationship between social and natural processes. Our Department recognizes
that human-environment relationships encompass a wide range of political,
cultural, chemical, biological, economic, and atmospheric phenomena, and we are
committed to integrative research and graduate training that reflects the
complexity of contemporary environmental issues.

Our faculty currently have active research and teaching agendas related to all
of these areas. We utilize a broad range of methodological techniques that
include field and laboratory studies, modeling, GIS and remote sensing, spatial
statistics, historical research, ethnography, interviews, and document
analysis. Our research seeks to contribute to cutting edge debates across the
natural and social sciences, as well as inform policy through our empirical
findings. Our program of graduate study is designed to train graduate students
who are able to accomplish these same goals.

The Department offers graduate programs leading to the M.S  and/or Ph.D degree.
Both non-thesis and thesis M.S. options are available. The application deadline
for Fall 2013 admission to our graduate program is February 1, 2013.
Applications can be completed online through the UMBC Graduate School’s web
page: http://www.umbc.edu/gradschool/admissions/apply.html

Below are answers to some questions you may have about the program. Detailed
information can be found on the GES website: http://ges.umbc.edu/graduate/

Christopher Swan, Graduate Program Director
Department of Geography & Environmental Systems

Eugene P. (Sandy) Parker, Chair
Department of Geography & Environmental Systems

1000 Hilltop Circle
211 Sondheim Hall
Baltimore, MD  21250
(410) 455-2002

--

Are my interests a good fit for faculty at UMBC?

Our Department’s research and teaching interests encompass three primary areas,
with a range of sub-themes.

1) Environmental  Systems
  · Water Resources
  · Geomorphology
  · Ecosystem Science
  · Landscape Ecology
  · Atmospheric Science

2) Human Geography
  · Land Use Sustainability
  · Climate and Conservation Policy
  · Environmental Justice
  · Political Ecology
  · Historical Geography
  · Urban Environments

3) Geographic Information Science
  · Environmental Modeling
  · Land Use/Land Cover Change
  · Remote Sensing of the Environment

--

What is graduate study at UMBC like?

Graduate students at UMBC are a small, but collegial and dynamic group. All
students receive training in a common set of core courses in which they are
introduced to guiding theories of human geography, physical geography, and
environmental science. In addition, students receive training on research
methods techniques and the art of proposal writing.

--

What kind of support do students receive?

A number of teaching assistantships are available to qualified PhD students.
These provide tuition remission, a monthly salary, and health insurance.  Many
students are also funded on faculty research grants, ranging from the NSF,
NOAA, EPA, to US Forest Service.  Students are also provided with office and
lab space.

--

What other opportunities are available?

In addition to financial support, there are a number of opportunities for
research collaborations through partnerships established with our Department.

· A number of our faculty have established international research programs in
Costa Rica, Ecuador, and China.
· UMBC is the field headquarters of the Baltimore Ecosystem Study, one of two
NSF Urban Long-term Ecological Research Sites.
· The Center for Urban Environmental Research and Education (CUERE) is located
at UMBC. CUERE is focused on the environmental consequences of social and
environmental transformations associated with urban development.
· GES has a partnership with NASA’s Goddard Earth Sciences and Technology
Center, and the Joint Center for Earth Systems Technology (JCET). Both are
government consortiums focusing on earth systems science and using remote
sensing technologies to monitor the earth’s atmosphere and surface.
· UMBC is also host to the U.S Geological Survey Water Science Center.