I agree with Tom; using the strict definition of evolution as a change in
gene frequency over time in a population, will prevent confusion and
facilitate a more honed discussion. That said, the *forces* of evolution
can act at multiple levels of the biological hierarchy (ie, gene, above
species in macroevolution). If you wish to touch upon the assembly or
"evolution" of communities, you could frame it in the context of climate
change, bringing up both paleoecology and analyses of modern biota.
Best wishes,
Alexis

--
Alexis Mychajliw

Graduate Student in Ecology & Evolution
Department of Biology, Stanford University*
*516-639-0180
amych...@stanford.edu
amm...@cornell.edu