Clara,

1. It heartens me to know that you have discovered many of us have concern
about the ethics involved in our science. I hope that this experience will
help all of us stop and think about the implications of our research, and
bounce ideas off of others, before moving forward. Often we are so excited
by discovery about something we "could" do, we don't think about if we
"should" do it

2. Depending on on others to monitor the ethics of your own experiment is
in itself, unethical.  As scientists we hold a position of authority, and
it can be difficult to for others to know if it is a true experiment or
just "play". What would you do if a sample of endangered species showed up
on your door? Having a scientist on a "legitimate" listserve request
bushmeat may provide the justification someone less informed than you needs
for killing that endangered species.

3. There are no controls as to who can access and read the list serve. We
are fortunate to reach people from all across the world and of all
different walks of life.

Saying that conservation biology is "high charged emotionally" is a straw
man argument.  When resources are limited (such as animals which generally
fall under the term "bushmeat") it behooves the community interested in
those resources to make sure they are utilized in the most productive way.
Destructive sampling, such as killing and eating, benefits a much smaller
portion of the community than passive study. It speaks highly of this
community that we seek to protect our limited resources (biodiversity), and
highly of you that you consider the feedback of your peers.