Hi all, my difficulty with this is that what I see as a difference of opinion
continues to get characterised as a misunderstanding of evolution.  Mitch, how
can you state definitively that species 3 billion years ago were just as well
adapted to their environment as those that exist today? It seems to me that's
an empirical question.   It's possible they were but why MUST it be so.  And if
I can provide an empirical example (Lenski's experiments) where later
generations of an E.coli population were better adapted for their environment
than an earlier one (by directly testing the competitive ability of the two
strains) then why is it not possible that organisms today, on average, are
better adapted for their environment than past organisms.  I want to emphasize
that I am not saying current organisms ARE better adapted, only that it's a
legitimate question to ask.  The answer will be in the data.

' In evolution different species can't be compared as better or worse - they
just succeed or they are replaced by
others.'

So, we can use the term successful but not better?  OK.  So, is there any
evidence that current organisms have more success dealing with their
environment than ones from 3 billion years ago?

'The upshot is that populations and species are never adapted to their
environments.'

It's not clear to me what you mean here, Mitch.  That they aren't perfectly
adapted to their environments?  I don't think anybody has suggested they are.
'That environments are always changing so 'adapted' is a moving target?  That
is almost certainly true but it doesn't mean, necessarily, that one step
forward and one step back.  It could be that there is a noisy and variable walk
towards organisms that are more successful at dealing with their environments.
But, bear in mind, I'm not asking anybody to believe that's true - just to
acknowledge that it's possible and therefore a reasonable question to ask.

There is no confusion on my part about the role of complexity.  I don't think
that complex organisms are necessarily better adapted and have never suggested
they are (I only suggested that on the axis of complexity we have seen
progress, not that increased complexity necessarily makes an organism better
adapted for its environment)

Liz, I've never suggested that the process would be linear.  In fact, I've
never even suggested that I think organisms are better adapted to their current
environments than ancient organisms were to theirs.  I've only asserted that it
is not a nonsensical question.  The fact that we keep coming back to the
argument that 'environments are constantly changing therefore organisms are
always trying to catch up with the changes' implies that, in fact, organisms
could end up better adapted to their environments.  Implicit in your statement
'...environment that 'shapes' them also changes through time.' is that if the
environment didn't change through time that we would see a trend towards
organisms that were better adapted for their environment.  If that's true, then
why would we assume that somehow the changes in the environments occur at a
rate that is perfectly synchronized with the rate at which a population evolves
and so how well organisms are adapted to their environment stays constant?
That just seems extraordinarily coincidental.  What I could believe is that at
different times in history organisms have been more or less adapted to their
environments but on average they are no better adapted today than they were in
the past.  But. I can't see that there is anything that necessarily makes that
true.

Best, Jeff H.