From: Ally Czechowicz [mailto:czec0...@umn.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:07 AM
To: Mahogany Bullock
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Vertical Farming Techniques

Mahogany-

So technically speaking--and perhaps you know this--a hydroponic system
cannot be organic due to the lack of soil medium. The vertical farms I have
seen hold plants in holes cut out of polystyrene.

The system I am most familiar with is a paired hydoponic/aquaponic system
(tilapia and lettuce/herbs) in a warehouse space in Minnesota (cold climate
- but controlled because operates indoors).

See http://gardenfreshfarms.com/growning-systems/

I would update your request for information by specifying if you plan on
farming indoors or outdoors, since it makes a large difference.  Also, it
would be helpful to specify which crops you want to grow, since many systems
are soil-less, this isn't enough information to go on.

 In my estimation, there is much room for innovation within vertical
farming! It's an exciting field.

Good luck!

Ally Czechowicz

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Mahogany Bullock <mjeanbull...@gmail.com>