As I grade the last few questions on my ecology finals, i realize that some of
the test questions I came up with this semester were better than
others--clearer, addressed more important ecological concepts, provoked more
thoughtful answers, etc.  I suspect those of you out there also teaching
undergraduate ecology classes like mine have made similar observations.  So
tell us all: what was your best test question this semester?  Share with all.

At the  moment, mine is:

Purple loosestrife is a highly invasive plant species from eastern Europe that
has invaded much of the U.S.  It forms dense monocultures that outcompete
native plant species.  An eastern European root-mining weevil has been used
successfully in some places in the U.S. to control  purple loosestrife.  What
do these successes indicate about whether loosestrife is primarily controlled
by density dependent or density independent factors in its native range and in
the U.S.?  Do these successes support or challenge the Enemy release
hypothesis?  Justify your answers.

My students asked me to tell them what "monoculture" and "weevil" meant.  The
challenges of teaching in an urban environment.

Dr. Russell Burke
Professor
Department of Biology
Hofstra University