Good morning,

We have extended the deadline for the Southeastern Ecology and Evolution
Conference abstracts to February 8th. So far, we have had submissions for 50
oral presentations and 43 poster presentations. There have been 17 universities
that have registered for a total of 112 students. Please visit
<http://www.seec2013.com> to see if you would be interested in attending. There
have been 2 travel awards announced and over $3000 worth of donated merchandise
for our fundraiser. Please forward this information to friends and colleagues
at your institution and encourage your students to present. We have 36
undergrads, 32 Master's students, 40 Ph.D. students, and 4 Post Docs
registered. The schools that are attending so far are listed below. If your
university is not on the list, help us out by encouraging your students to
attend or attending yourself. If you are going to the Association of
Southeastern Biologists meeting, SEEC is a wonderful opportunity to practice
your presentation and get positive feedback through the judging that will occur.

University of Georgia, University of Florida, University of South Florida,
Bethune-Cookman University, University of Central Florida, Auburn, Florida
Atlantic University, Florida State University, Clemson, University of North
Georgia, University of West Alabama, University of New Orleans, St. Petersburg
College, Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern, Southeastern Louisiana University, and
Florida International University are all attending SEEC 2013!

Tennessee, Mississippi, and North Carolina - You are not represented yet.

Cheers,
Jason Strickland
SEEC Co-Chair
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL

<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=7vagghlab&v=0011-u4wRWTE7QK3xYDFGoAs8una7KjT0H7OGirjGRBvj_5K-xyaAvm7fWULU8XePnqg_SI-kt0TCd0gDQsCoICa39U2cnczrYnN9mjMf0E-6tfM7Fzh6e5hLP1tfo-F0Q5>

Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference
Extended: Final Call for Abstracts

[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs195/1111564157628/img/6.png]

Abstract Submission Deadline Extended

               A 200 word abstract must be submitted no later than February 8th
2013 at 5pm EST.  Submissions can be made at
http://www.seeconference.wordpress.com/registration-and-abstract-submission/<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj2d6ZnS2fySf5G0__3Zs_5UBsh34zJg0n2CrvnLjf8-754VOcH3wgkkKa3H-_vuY2-cIrAJjS94Y064hDGve_0vnKK011kUpMvrLqXv4I1bSXTEo4jcuZ_V14pPyJau_AKCZQtqryUC76iK38bsy4Rjrj6X8PyVzhl-_HA3m6xD5b8EKLVa0he2>

Please be aware, that in addition to being the final abstract submission
deadline,
February 8th is also the deadline for the discounted hotel rate.

  *    Poster presenters should plan to use a 36"x48" landscape format poster
and be prepared to present their poster to judges from 4-5:30pm on Saturday of
the conference.

  *   Oral presenters should create a 12 minute powerpoint presentation on a
windows compatible USB storage device, presentations should be loaded with the
session chair at least 30 minutes prior to the beginning of a session.
Question time of three minutes will follow all presentations.

  *   Cash prizes will be awarded in four categories, undergraduate poster,
undergraduate talk, graduate poster, and graduate talk.

[Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference]
Student Travel Awards

              The South Atlantic Chapter of the Society of Wetland Scientists
(SWS) offers it's student travel award to support students presenting wetland
research at theSoutheastern Ecology and Evolution Conference (SEEC) at the
University of Central Florida in Orlando, Florida, March 1 - March 3, 2013. We
will award two students each with a student SWS membership and a $100 travel
award. All students (undergraduate, graduate, and post doctoral) presenting
research on a wetland topic via oral or poster presentation are eligible. The
Chapter's Awards and Executive Committees will judge the applicants based on
the scientific quality and importance of their research as described in the
abstract. To apply, please submit your abstract as instructed on the SEEC 2013
Registration and Abstract Submission webpage no later than February 1, 2013. In
addition, applicants must submit their abstract, by email, to David E. Bailey,
Awards Committee Chair, at
david.e.bail...@usace.army.mil<mailto:david.e.bail...@usace.army.mil> no later
than February 18, 2013. (Please note that if the student does not send an
additional abstract to David E. Bailey no later than February 18, 2013, they
will not win a travel award.)  Winners will receive their awards from a SAC
representative during the SEEC Awards Ceremony.

Additional travel awards may be announced in the coming weeks.  Please like us
on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for more information.

[Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference]
Social Update

                In addition to presentations and speakers, SEEC is offering a
number of fun networking opportunities during the three day event.

  *   Friday night, a Biology trivia session at a local restaurant will be
offered that will pit universities against each other in a race for prizes.

  *   Saturday night, following presentations, we will head to a restaurant and
bar on the beautiful UCF campus where we will hold a banquet dinner and silent
auction which will include a number of donated items from our sponsors
including a brand new kayak!  Please check out our over $3000 of donated silent
auction
items<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj24Run65jsqheCsEGzXZI_g_-Nh2i9Y7dppA74iZsAxQ385VGYhYmLdT4FdvCVI8Gkrd_JcLO0XdPNS4ckn66ksgkegWvZPR1zDahjHqm6GLweCsR1MpbW-lsdXAxjdUCo=>.

  *   Sunday afternoon we will have first come first serve excursion
opportunities with lab staff from our very own Biology department, sign up for
the available
excursions<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj11lzlsNhK2wisZZDZVoqIz4YX8cLOtEASiPu-0uRti_f_7IaG6IpyCR7nnaGpc7016xGBjWMzO5P2vrVX8iWYCwVIzG-3ljzK7gzP6WyzIgXGP3jm39AH-ZGz9vRk84frdSujl8Dw8-Q==>
 on our website.
     *   The Arboretum Excursion
     *   The Song Lab (SLAB) Insect Excursion
     *   The Snake/Bird Excursion:

[Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference]
Final call for abstracts

               SEEC is a conference run by students for students and is being
hosted at the University of Central Florida (UCF) on March 1st - 3rd of 2013.
SEEC offers a friendly atmosphere for undergraduate, graduate, and post
doctoral students from around the southeast to engage one another and solicit
helpful critiques of their research. SEEC also gives students that are not
presenting the opportunity to learn from others about giving a research
presentation or poster.
               While anyone with an interest in ecology or evolution is welcome
to attend SEEC, those planning on presenting posters or talks have an abstract
submission deadline of February 1st 2013 at 5pm EST, that can be completed at
the registration
page<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj0NWsOqcyrMpXlHAvpzFdY9YK3YX16cCkrAl3IOODkZHwbmpGdBHeBzj8kR0a4PYCvok3Aqo6X7V9391puFSAYuo5Ov7TXM8gO_vB9wqS2L1WkJnN7WdSLeUqg3MxVt4Uuf56zyktB9fhHlW4bBVe_MyfAMtioOdqxQ0FK2_9n9kg==>.
  Early registration fees are only $35, and can be paid with the submission of
your 200 word abstract.  Poster presenters should plan to use a 36"x48"
landscape format poster, and oral presenters should create a 12 minute
PowerPoint presentation on a Windows compatible USB storage device.  Cash
prizes will be awarded in four categories, undergraduate poster, undergraduate
oral presentation, graduate poster, and graduate oral presentation.
               In addition to presentations and speakers, SEEC is offering a
number of fun and friendly networking opportunities during the three day event.
  On Friday night, a Biology trivia session at a local restaurant will be
offered that will pit universities against each other in a race for prizes.
Saturday night, following presentations, we will head out to a restaurant and
bar on the beautiful UCF campus where we will hold a banquet dinner and silent
auction. Additionally, over lunch on Saturday, one of our post doctoral
fellows, Joshua Reece, will be giving an R statistical seminar for those
interested in attending. The seminar will focus on how to use R to combine
phylogenetic and ecological studies, more additional information is available
about the R
seminar<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj09PsA84G6GlBx_UasqhrfzhLN7bQMMIQCz2zrgilPp660xQyyvniBsaA1MYyhWBlz3jxJtEjA7p2G9nLbpfXYyqUnAPcsRGw3lV8U06MbaJX1Fm28iUSzUGijQrkKtVCtL7GvFGLB9RJLJbf7rOXPuiOs1jnzEwOULZADHODjDCGH93KNicB-MIMHPKIpxvyE=>.
 The presentation of awards will be held Sunday morning, and that afternoon we
will have first come first serve excursion opportunities with lab staff from
our very own Biology department, check out the list of available
excursions<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj11lzlsNhK2wisZZDZVoqIz4YX8cLOtEASiPu-0uRti_f_7IaG6IpyCR7nnaGpc7016xGBjWMzO5P2vrVX8iWYCwVIzG-3ljzK7gzP6WyzIgXGP3jm39AH-ZGz9vRk84frdSujl8Dw8-Q==>.
               Our plenary speaker on Sunday morning will be Dr. Keith Hobson,
a research scientist at the University of Saskatchewan and former editor of
Waterbirds. Dr. Hobson's research focuses on the conservation of arboreal
systems and how stable isotopes can be used to understand migratory patterns in
various taxa.  His presentation is entitled:  "From birds to butterflies: using
stable isotopes to track animal movement and migration".
               Lodging is being provided by the La Quinta Inn and Suites within
the UCF Research Park.  SEEC has negotiated a special rate of $99/night based
on 4 person occupancy that also includes breakfast.  This discount expires on
February 8, 2013, so be sure to book your room soon.  The booking code can be
found at the travel information
page<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj3Tppun-WmUjnFN0Q9fO_t8s94jLoXWZHjH66bHU6yf_4psE24JZrI-6JH4wuIJ-Ez4S_P8LcC_gflmbCjt_KGISS4du7VdlJQ4rSy75QOFvRPj17ciqRW5cqcGLVyKW2TyzqHd1PXw6z9E8JnLQi2b>.

Sincerely,

Joshua Solomon & Jason Strickland
Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference

[Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference]

Please follow SEEC 2013

[Follow us on
Twitter]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj15deKLcIqZ_t0_9-3Uk0i2Vvv6k1W1WK2xStvx9DLjYlLXXLRbPSjWLhaQHiWgO4tRgFgAs-RDG9loMOP2v_gMkXWaEm9r1Xcs6RY6lYDVFA==>

[Like us on
Facebook]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001G8KD9nayxj3DyZZT6D1-hrIkqR7NmKpokwafu-ryxLfxg61UrJvJkk2wAHRDy5uu23_VJ7pDZisCg3JbKOsDan8pOswR8J8CR3AA0qT6LW2fiK-UGlu-hYOVfZZy1VKY1Zg3EYQSfqeECU57a6M8mQ==>

Forward this
email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=7vagghlab&m=1111564157628&ea=jason.strickland%40knights.ucf.edu&a=1112335411786>
         [http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/CC_Footer_Logo_New.png]
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_258>
This email was sent to jason.strickl...@knights.ucf.edu by
seec.h...@gmail.com<mailto:seec.h...@gmail.com> |
Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=0010viYvlVaEbhcM_Q4S_J0w77YUiHmYH6K&t=0014MmIGYfYwY0bx8B97C4ZJA%3D%3D&llr=7vagghlab>
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0010viYvlVaEbhcM_Q4S_J0w77YUiHmYH6K&t=0014MmIGYfYwY0bx8B97C4ZJA%3D%3D&llr=7vagghlab>™
 | Privacy Policy<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.

Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference | Attention: Joshua Solomon |
Department of Biology | 4000 Central Florida Blvd | Orlando | FL | 32828