As I'm applying for internships, I have realized that I possess a
marketable skill that is valuable to employers: I am willing to work for no
pay...

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM, malcolm McCallum <
malcolm.mccal...@herpconbio.org> wrote:

> Clara, I agree.
>
> To be marketable in the workplace you must have skills that are in
> demand in the workplace. Its that simple.  Too many students graduate
> without marketable skills.
> Marketability for grad school does not equal marketability for a job
> out of the BS.
> You want to get a job in ecological field?
> Here are the skills I recommend:
> 1. GIS
> 2. statistics
> 3. public administration
> 4. env/wildlife/fisheries policy & law
> 5. Any and all instrumentation involving chemistry, molecular biology and
> micro.
>
> Why?
> Everything uses GIS today.
> Statistics are just plain required.
> If you are working in the public sector, PA will prepare you for what
> you actually do most of the time...paperwork.
> policy and law is mostly what you will be doing paperwork on (permits
> and permitting issues!)
> instrumentation may pick you up a research tech post.
>
> Also, if you go into the private sector, every one of those areas is
> highly marketable.
> If you have none of them, you are going to have a rougher time.
> Again, this is coming out of a BS.
>
> Ideally, you better have Wildlife + Wildlife Techniques if going into
> a wildlife field or Fisheries + fisheries techniques if going into a
> fish field.  You might check the respective certification programs.
> Anything ecotox will help too.
>
> Malcolm
>

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Clara B. Jones <foucaul...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > 1. ...assuming that your summary is an accurate reflection of the
> *CB*article...
> > 2. ...i am shocked that there is no mention of actual skills...most of
> the
> > traits you mention might be categorized as "intangible"...you need these
> > skills to be a car salesman...not to impugn car sales-persons...
> > 3. ...IMO, an applicant has a better edge if s/he brings something
> > transferrable [marketable!] to the table that no-one else brings to the
> > table...
> > 4. ...often this "something" is one or more quantitative skill...
> > 5. ...or, skill in a fundamental or "hot" area of research w long-term
> > potential...
> > 6. ...or, a grant...
> > 7. ...i am somewhat exercised by your post because, IMO, too many young,
> > especially, female, applicants don't bring much to the table that others
> > don't already know or that cannot be readily duplicated or that is mostly
> > generalist-oriented...
> > 8. ...early-career applicants need to bring something "with legs"...as my
> > Grandmother Jackson used to say...in other words, bring something to the
> > table that can go somewhere [that the department and the
> college/university
> > and the field want to go]...
> [...]

Jaime Salazar (UID: 111042128)
Environmental Science and Technology 2013
University of Maryland, College Park