Ecologgers:

Two items caught my attention today.  One was a NPR interview program on the
recent internet buzz over the Chinese government's supposed eugenics program
(specifically, plans to breed for increased intelligence).  The other was a
story read on the Atlantic website:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/03/how-state-ag-gag-laws-could-stop-animal-cruelty-whistleblowers/273962/

concerning legislative efforts to gag those who would inform the public about
currently common livestock practices.  What tied the two together for me were
these two interlinked questions:

How many of the problematic production techniques (mass rearing facilities,
hormone manipulation, beak trimming, etc.) referred to in the Atlantic article
were developed in university agronomy facilities and to what degree are
research agronomists ethically responsible for the effect that the techniques
they develop do not violate the animal welfare standards we must apply to
research animals?

Is there a connection here?  Do research animals deserve better welfare than
farm animals?  If so, why so?  The answer can't be that farm animals are
destined for the slaughterhouse in any case.  Many research animals are
"sacrificed".

I ask these questions in a sincere desire for both information and others
thoughts.  I don't know who develops these techniques or how schools of
agriculture treat the ethical question and would love to hear from someone who
does.

Why on ecolog?  I am an ecologist and know that, before the rise of ecology
departments, the connection between agriculture and ecology was much closer
than today.  Even though many ecologists are found at schools with no
agriculture, I still feel connected and perhaps other ecologists do as well.
The circle will be completed.  It's already happening (think of the LME
movement in Fishery Science).

In any case, I was disturbed by the thought that university research may be
behind common livestock practices that are so abhorrent to the public that the
agriculture industry seeks to deprive the public of its right to know about
them.  Are we complicit?

Phil Ganter
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Tennessee State University