Accepting your phd candidate's hypothetical premise that employees are "doing
something terribly wrong," ask which she or he considers most
unethical/untrustworthy among the following three parties:
1) the employees in some of the most unpleasant jobs known (slaughterhouse) who
are "doing something terribly wrong, but ...seem to be doing their job," or
2) the owner/boss/"farmer" who conveniently neglects to investigate "those bad
things you had suspicions about" even though they are readily apparent to a new
hire and, by implication, would also be evident from simply "visiting farms to
learn about where ...food comes from" or
3) the new employees who are also aware of "those bad things you had suspicions
about" and risk their future employability in any sector to document and reveal
them to the public and consumers rather than trusting you to do so?

We have a tendency to expect workers to be so grateful to have a job at all
that they should swear allegiance to an  unethical employer rather than protect
the public good.