Matthew basically wrote most of my response. Always use the USAJobs resume
builder tool instead of uploading an academic-type CV, and modify it for every
single job you apply, using key words plucked from the announcement skills,
requirements, and experience - and use them more than once. The resume builder
has some limitations in the number of characters for some fields (including
work experience and some others) but there is one field named "additional
experience" that has basically no limit (it is so high). That field allows you
to include anything else you'd like to highlight, like relevant committees,
volunteer work in scientific organizations, media presence, etc.

What I do is I have a super complete and long CV on the resume builder, and i
make a copy of it and edit and name it for each position.  then i delete it
after a while, since you can only have something like 4 resumes in the system
at a time.  i haven't applied for many fed jobs, but have gotten up the ladder
a couple times, including interviews, using these strategies.

Astrid Caldas, PhD
    Science for Better Environmental Policy

P: 240-4605275
I blog at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/astrid-caldas/