So in response to what seemed like a reasonable suggestion (from another list
poster) that ECOLOG posters limit the number of posts per individual (sort of
like asking excessively vocal faculty members to allow a faculty meeting to
proceed by limiting their outbursts) and that we try to keep post quality high
(sort of like peer review), the Ecolog moderator advises that we just filter
posters who are taking over Ecolog or who are obvious trolls?
Such a response is analogous to this line of reasoning:
Ecologist: "We need to decrease the number of papers per issue, increase the
quality of papers, and increase the rigor of peer review in the journal
Ecology." (There is too much noise and too many errors on Ecolog, we should ask
members to limit the number of posts per person and push for greater quality.)
ESA: "if you don't like papers in Ecology, then don't read them." (Just filter
out the noise.)
I have had an Ecolog subscription since it started, when I was a grad student,
and it was really useful and interesting. However, in my personal, subjective,
anecdotal opinion, the average quality of posts has severely declined. I used
to recommend it to students, but now I do not, because the very faint signal of
good ecological information is often lost in the noise of excessive (and
sometimes unintelligible) prose from a small fraction of posters. Sure, there
are options for dealing with this putative problem, such as filtering, or using
the digest, but these are sub-optimal and are somewhat like trying to treat a
sickness rather than trying to prevent it. I cannot recommend this forum to
students or colleagues because I can see little value now other than job
postings. The occasional opportunity for one to offer an opinion on theory or
methods (or to get insight from relevant theoretical or methodological posts)
often will be met with a cacophony of disorganized, top-of-the-head ideas and
opinions (uh... kind of like this post right here?). Conversely, and equally
frustrating, substantive theoretical questions may often be met with complete
silence. It does beg the question of why I still have my subscription...
The irony here (actually, there are several ironies in this post) is that I
HAVE filtered certain posters, thus I have missed most of the discussion here...
Cheers, Lee
p.s. I once had a post denied because I said that a climate-change denier
poster was "hoist by his own petard" (from Shakespeare). So there is SOME
quality control on Ecolog.

Lee Dyer
Biology Dept. 0314
UNR 1664 N Virginia St