For collecting earthworms (and I assume you do mean earthworms, rather than
any other vermiform taxa), extractions by electricity and chemicals (dilute
formalin, spicy mustard solutions) do work. Chemical extraction especially
can vary in effectiveness on different species, which could throw off a
biomass estimate. The "octet" machines that are designed for earthworm
extraction use a high voltage and low amps and send the current in all
directions to affect all individuals in that area (see e.g., Weyers et al.
2008). Other methods of delivering current into soil may work but may also
be dangerous. Keep in mind that this electricity travels through soil
moisture and soil moisture is variable is space and time. My understanding
is that the chemicals have a limited lifetime in the soils, but then again
you will be altering soil moisture by adding these solutions.

When possible, the best way to get a truly quantitative sample of earthworm
populations is to dig a soil monolith (usually 30 x 30 x 10-15 cm) and
hand-sort through the soil. That said, extraction methods are widely used
and accepted.

-Bruce
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bruce A. Snyder, PhD      basny...@ksu.edu
Instructor; Coordinator, REU and URM Programs
REU: ksu.edu/reu     URM: ecogen.ksu.edu/urm.html
Earthworms Across Kansas: ksu.edu/earthworm/
Personal:
www-personal.k-state.edu/~basnyder/<http://www-personal.k-state.edu/%7Ebasnyder/>
Office: 136 Ackert Hall
         785-532-2430
Mail: Kansas State University
      Division of Biology
      116 Ackert Hall
      Manhattan, KS 66506-4901
"How many miles of unexplored caves are there?”