Dear Unmarried Single,
You would naturally feel discriminated against because you have no idea, and
absolutely cannot know, the amount of time it takes to care for a family.
Before we had a child, my husband and I worked 12 hours a day or more. Yes,
it was hard to get laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. done, but we had the
luxury or working 12 hours a day. Once we had a child, we no longer have
that option. Taking care of a child is a full-time job, and having a regular
academic job on top of it is like working two jobs. Having children is a
right that must be recognized by institutions and made allowances for, which
is not there in academia. You can have no idea how difficult it is to be an
academician and a parent. (And all this goes even for people who have to
care for other family members like elderly or ill parents). We should not
have to make a choice between taking care of our families and continuing an
academic career. I am so happy to see that NSF has recognized this and is
moving int eh right direction.
And BTW, spousal hires by Universities is not nepotism. It is simply keeping
their desired people happy so that they stay in the University. Again, it is
recognizing that family is important and that people should not have to
choose between family and career. I am sure the spouse is qualified for the
job they are hired for.

-Kay