From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of ??
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2013 5:42 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Fwd: Root depth measurement

Hi all,
I want to do some measurement of the root depth of plants (including shrub,
grass and forb). Excavation of the whole plant root system is most
straightforward but hard to get permission for, especially for shrubs. Do you
guys have any idea how to measure/extrapolate root depth with minimum impact on
plants and soil?
Thank you so much!
Cheers,
Jade
(P.S.: I've found from literature two alternatives, one of which is to sample
soil cores near the gamet and measure root biomass at each depth level then
extrapolate 95% root depth, the other is to inject tracer into certain depth of
soil and see whether it can be detected in plants. Both seem complicated and
potentially destructive;b I am under the impression that plant above ground
height should be somehow correlated to root depth.
Is there any way of inferring root depth from this too?)
--
Yu Zhang (Jade)
 Ph.D Student in Environment Science, Policy and Management College of Natural