I am attempting to reconstruct what is known about the abundance of
raccoons before widespread European land changes in North America.  I am
looking for things like naturalists’ observations, archeological sites,
furbearer records, etc.  I wouldn’t normally ask the community for help
with a literature search, but I am concerned that this involves a lot of
sources that are not very accessible.  I have made some good progress
already, but if anyone has any other clever ideas I would love to hear them.
****

One approach I am pursuing is to try to estimate distributions of the major
pre-European North American terrestrial habitats and rank these in term of
their potential as raccoon habitat.  I am sure that someone has made built
such a map, can you direct me to one?

Thank you.

Colleen Sorbera, Hofstra University