We are organizing a session on the fall meeting of the AGU that would be of
interest to the soil science, biogeochemistry, geomorphology and  critical zone
research networks: B061 - Role of Soil Erosion on Biogeochemical Cycling of
Essential Elements

Lateral transport of topsoil by erosion is a primary control on the spatial
distribution of essential elements in the terrestrial biosphere. Exciting
advances in the understanding of multi-scale dynamics of specific elements have
been assisted by the development of new tracing and monitoring technologies and
modelling approaches.  Nevertheless, there still remain important gaps in our
understanding of how erosion controls elemental cycles at different spatial and
temporal scales, particularly the regional and global relevance of the
stoichiometric relationships between different elements. We invite
presentations from all fields in the geosciences: studies at timescales from
short term to geological; spatial scales from microbe to globe; and, approaches
from empirical to theoretical. Papers addressing multiple elements would be
particularly welcome.

Our session will have the following invited speakers
Robert Stallard (US Geological Survey)
Stephen Porder (Brown University)
Bob Hilton (Durham University)
Sarah De Baetes (University of Exeter)

CONVENERS: Asmeret Asefaw Berhe, Timothy Quine, Jennifer Dungait, Jereon
Meersman
CURRENT SECTION/FOCUS GROUP: Biogeosciences (B)
CO-SPONSORING SECTION(S): Earth and Planetary Surface Processes (EP), Global
Environmental Change (GC), Hydrology (H)
As part of the AGU soil-focused SWIRL at the 2013 Fall Meeting (Global
Soilsfeatureathttp://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/scientific-program/swirls/).

We hope you are planning on attending AGU and that you will consider our
session.
If you have any questions in this regard, please feel free to contact me or any
one of the other session conveners.

Cheers,
Asmeret

Asmeret Asefaw Berhe, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Soil Biogeochemistry
School of Natural Sciences
University of California, Merced

Office phone: (209) 228-4712
Cell: (510) 967-7196