Does anyone have experience with satellite phones, preferably in Alaska
(Seward Peninsula).  There are different companies (e.g., Iridium, Global
Star, SPOT) that differ in pricing for phones and service.  I need to know
if one brand provides a more reliable service than another *in Alaska*, if
there is some tradeoff for price, or if there are differences in customer
service.  Also, phones can be bought off the Internet or from a dealer, and
not sure if this makes a difference.  I have heard that sat phones are
reliable, and that they are totally unreliable, and that this depends in
part on where the company has their portal/gateway, but I need more input.
If you have had particularly good or bad experiences with a particular
brand or retailer/service provider, that would be extremely helpful
(lawyers: I didn't say that!).

Not sure - email off-list or there may be others interested.

Thank you.

David

--
David L. Anderson, Ph.D. | Research Biologist
The Peregrine Fund <http://www.peregrinefund.org/index.php>