From: Martin Meiss
To: Aabir Banerji
Cc: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
Sent: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 21:25:04 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] "Emergent" functions contributing to the functional
diversity of a community?

Would you consider this to be an example of what you're looking for: How about
a parasite that needs an intermediate host before infecting its main host.
Perhaps a worm that must live in a snail which must be eaten by a vertebrate
before the parasite can enter the vertebrate to reach its adult form.

Martin M. Meiss