A few months ago, Sharon Baruch-Mordo posted a provocative challenge
(http://bit.ly/12mfSPs) on
BioDiverse Perspectives (www.BioDV.com), a student run blog that writes about
biodiversity research.
She called it the biodiversity challenge and offered it as an opportunity to
engage the public - an
opportunity to speak to non-scientists about our work and to convince them that
they should care
about it.

Here’s the challenge (posted in full here: http://bit.ly/1ae9UBG):
Write a 500-word essay for a newspaper or magazine about the importance of your
research in the
context of biodiversity and conservation. Your target audience is the general
public and your goal is
to be educational and convincing.

Next week, we’ll be posting submissions to the biodiversity challenge at
BioDiverse Perspectives, and
we challenge you to join in. You can upload it on the website at
www.biodiverseperspectives.com/contribute or email it to us at
i...@biodiverseperspectives.com. We
will publish them all next week, in full, as we receive them, unedited in all
their glory.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your contributions!

Fletcher Halliday
Editor-in-chief: BioDiverse Perspectives
PhD Student: UNC Chapel Hill
www.BioDV.com