A few quick things in regard to the comments below.

1. DEB did institute a Small Grants Program, see Program Solicitation NSF
13-508 and NSF 14-503.  Relevant wording:  "Small Grants: The Division welcomes
proposals for Small Grants to the core programs via this solicitation. These
awards are intended to support full-fledged research projects that simply
require total budgets of $150,000 or less. Small Grant proposals follow the
same two-stage review process and will be assessed based on the same merit
review criteria as all other proposals to this solicitation."

2. NSF has nothing to do with the setting of Indirect Costs.

3. The formal survey that DEB sent to the ecological and evolutionary
communities on 17 April 2013 (to over 19,660 individuals) which assessed the
communities' satisfaction with aspects of the new proposal process in DEB and
IOS has been analyzed. We are in the process of writing that paper for
submission to Bioscience by the end of the year.

4. NSF does listen to the scientific community and tries very hard to do what's
best for science. Flat budgets and the subsequent sinking success rates are the
real problems.

_______________
Dr. Leslie J. Rissler
Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
MHB Hall Room 307
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

205-348-4052
riss...@as.ua.edu<mailto:riss...@as.ua.edu>
www.ljrissler.org

On Nov 20, 2013, at 10:34 AM, malcolm McCallum