Hello All -
I recently finished the field guide The Venomous Snakes and their Mimics of
Panama and Costa Rica (http://www.lamica.org/tsp_pubs.html), which is a
bilingual guide geared towards local people, tourists, students, and
researchers. It includes all of the venomous snakes and their main mimics with
over 150 color photos to aid in ID.

The idea for the book came from the large number of bites that occur each year
(averaging ~3/day!) in these countries and the number of snakes that are killed
simply out of fear.
It is one of our goals to get copies of the book into the remote and
impoverished communities, national park visitor centers, schools, medical
centers, etc. so local people can begin to learn the snakes and snakebites can
be properly treated.

We are looking for suggestions on potential funding sources for such. We
currently are accepting donations to purchase books either via PayPal
(http://www.lamica.org/teamsnakepanama.html - click on the donation button) or
in the form of email gift cards from Amazon.com to teamsnakepan...@gmail.com.
However, we also suspect that perhaps individuals, organizations, or businesses
may be interested in donating to such an important cause.

We welcome any and all suggestions on how we can get copies of the book to the
people who really need them but cannot afford to buy one or who do not have the
capability to receive a shipment from Amazon.
Thank you!

Dr. Julie M. Ray
Director
La MICA Biological Station
US Address: Julie Ray, 12458 132nd Street, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Fundación Centro de Investigación Biológica El Copé, S.A. (Panama)
El Cope-La Pintada. Provincia de Cocle. Republica de Panama
http//www.lamica.org