Dear Ecolog-ers,

Thought you might be interested in these two ecology-minded crowdfunding
projects. Every donation, no matter how small, gets us closer to our funding
goals.
Many thanks,
-Lee

How Does Communication Training Benefit Scientists? by Jessica Rohde

https://experiment.com/projects/how-does-communication-training-benefit-scientists

Science can change the world, but only if it is communicated effectively to the
public and policy makers. To help scientists better explain why their research
matters, we created a communication training program for science grad students.
We want all science grad students to have access to communication training. To
overcome the critical roadblocks, we will evaluate the benefits of
communication training to the careers of our students.

Can microorganisms help protect our groundwater from contamination by hydraulic
fracturing? by Lee Stanish

https://experiment.com/projects/can-microorganisms-help-protect-our-groundwater-from-contamination-by-hydraulic-fracturing
There is growing concern over the safety of hydraulic fracturing, or
"fracking", to extract natural gas. However, the risks to groundwater quality
are not clear, and we often lack baseline data or monitoring schemes to protect
all groundwater supplies. The goal of this study is to determine if microscopic
organisms (microbes) can be used to trace methane contamination in groundwater
from natural gas extraction activities.

Lee Stanish
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Colorado
Boulder, CO, 80309
lee.stan...@colorado.edu