My response is colored by this morning reading an excellent article about
why academics put up with working so hard (and by having to go to work on
Monday despite it being a snow day because of non-research parts of the
job). The expectation of "no relief" plays right into the hands of
university administrators.

Quoting this recent article:

4) Work that is "fun" is often not perceived as *real* work. Academics may
be busy, but, hey, we're *doing what we love*, so we can't really complain,
right? We can and we should. As Miya Tokumitsu recently wrote, the "Do What
You Love" mantra "may be the most elegant anti-worker ideology around," and
it's particularly pervasive in academe:

*Few other professions fuse the personal identity of their workers so
intimately with the work output. This intense identification partly
explains why so many proudly left-leaning faculty remain oddly silent about
the working conditions of their peers. Because academic research should be
done out of pure love, the actual conditions of and compensation for this
labor become afterthoughts, if they are considered at all.*

As she says, "Nothing makes exploitation go down easier than convincing
workers that they are doing what they love." Indeed, the "Do What You Love"
philosophy's ability to refashion academic labor as a form of leisure
contributes to the unrelenting sense of busy-ness. We work because we love
it. Or because we think we *should* love it.

Read more:
http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2014/03/03/essay-why-faculty-members-work-so-much#ixzz2v7eVgkAf
Inside Higher Ed

Best regards,