Title: Wild Primate Health Program

Hiring Organization: PrimatesPeru

Position Description: There are few places better suited for a community-wide
primate research
program than Los Amigos, boasting 11 different primate species. Some of them
are rare, some are
extremely abundant, some compete for food while others have found a special
dietary niche (e.g.,
the howler monkeys are the only folivores or leaf eaters in this forest, while
the saki monkeys the
only seed-predators).

There are some major limitations, however, to conducting field research at the
community level.
For one, it’s hard to find the time to observe 11 different species to the same
extent.  It’s not as
simple as hanging out with one social group from each species, because how
could one know that
a single group fits the norm?

Instead of launching a massive behavioral research program, we are counting on
another method
to obtain large amounts of data from each species.  Our special method has
everything to do with
fecal samples (or as we call it, poop).  We can identify an individual primate,
determine its sex, tell
if it is sexually mature, if it is experiencing high stress, and describe its
health status (particularly in
terms of parasites and disease): that’s all from a single fecal sample.  If we
collect from them
consistently over time, we can eventually follow parasites and diseases as they
spread through
populations and maybe even jump between species (an exceedingly important
consideration for
humans).  We can also conduct population genetics on these monkeys, which among
other things,
is a major tool for monitoring primate conservation status.

Our task in the field is pretty straight forward.  One: find each species.
Two: follow social groups
as they go about their daily routines. Three: preserve the samples in a variety
of ways that enables
us to access DNA, hormones, parasites, and dietary data.

At the end of the program, research assistants will be able to:
-Track primates by sight and sound
-Work off trail systems using a GPS
-Habituate groups of 11 different primate species including: saddleback
tamarins, emperor
tamarins, Callimico, squirrel monkeys, brown and blonde capuchins, titi
monkeys, spider monkeys,
howler monkeys, saki monkeys (in conjunction with the saki project), and night
monkeys
-Conduct long and short follows, learning how to adapt to the different styles
of tracking these
different species
-Collect GPS data on species movements to create a large, overarching primate
movement
database.
-Become proficient in collecting and storing primate fecal samples in field
conditions, including
participating in downstream applications like endocrinology and parasite
analyses.
Input sample and movement information into databases for further analyses.
Qualifications: We welcome enthusiastic, reasonably fit, and self-motivated
students and young
scientists to join this year-round project.  We require a minimum of 8-week
time commitment
from research assistants that join this project. If you want to gain
substantial experience with ALL
11 primate species at our field site in one training program, then we encourage
you to apply.
Learn how fecal samples, which can be amazingly informative, are used to
identify individuals
(using genetics), determine parasite infection status (parasitology), measure
stress levels
(endocrinology), and analyze diet (seed morphology).

We are currently recruiting participants with the following requirements.  If
you are uncertain if you
are eligible, contact us to confirm.
-Must be at least 18 years of age by the time the training program begins
-Demonstrate a grounding or strong interest in zoology, biology, or anthropology
-Previous field experience is not required, but previous research experience
(either outdoors or in
the laboratory) will be a plus
-Must be able to justify why this program is important to them and what they
hope to gain from it
-Able to provide a letter of recommendation from a source that can substantiate
the participant’s
experience and skills
-Unafraid of insects, reptiles and the jungle in general
-Must be in good physical condition, with the capability to walk 4 miles a day
while carrying field
equipment
-Participants will not be discriminated against for medical conditions they
might have if we
determine that being on this project will not pose an immediate risk to their
health.
-Willingness to adjust your schedule to primate daily activity patterns. This
can require waking up
early, sometimes by 5 am, and going to bed early.
-Due to the nature of the work and weather constraints, participants MUST be
willing to be flexible
about their days off. Assistants will typically have one day off per week;
however we cannot
guarantee a set schedule each week.
-Participants must sign waivers of liability for this project and for the field
station before their
participation in the project is finalized
-Participants must be willing to maintain long hours in the field, but also
return to complete data
entry in the evenings
-Assistants will have the opportunity during days off to explore various
attractions at the field site,
such as searching for the resident anaconda at Pozo Don Pedro or looking for
endangered giant
river otters at Cocha Lobo.

Salary/funding: This is a volunteer program - it costs $2250 to attend the
program for a minimum
of 6 weeks. Additional weeks are prorated at $375 per week.

Support provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
The program fee for
all programs cover the following:
-Transportation to and from the field station once per participant
-Lodging and meals at the field station
-Training and activities related to the program provided by experienced
instructors
-Access to the internet while at the field station, although it is slow and
dependent on the weather

The program fee does not cover the following:
-Travel from your home to Puerto Maldonado in Perú
-Medical insurance, which is a requirement for the program
-Food and stay in Puerto Maldonado (available for cheap)
-Costs related to exigent circumstances under which a participant requires an
early departure from
the field station
-Medical costs of any kind
-Binoculars – each participant must bring their own pair of binoculars
-Field boots, headlamp/flashlight and other personal effects required for the
program

Term of Appointment: July 20, 2014 - year-round (Minimum commitment 6 weeks)

Application Deadline: May 10, 2014 for start dates in July and August.
Applications accepted on a
rolling basis for start dates in September and beyond.

Comments: More information is available on travel requirements
(http://primatesperu.org/travel-
to-los-amigos/) and the Los Amigos Field Station
(http://primatesperu.org/cicra/) where the
program will take place.

Please see our website
(http://primatesperu.org/get-experience/research-volunteers/) for all
payment and cancellation policies, as well as other research opportunities with
PrimatesPeru.

Contact ad...@primates-peru.org for further information if needed.

Website: http://primatesperu.org/get-experience/research-volunteers/

E-mail Address: ad...@primates-peru.org

If you wish to make changes to this posting, visit
pin.primate.wisc.edu/jobs/edit/3483.