Dear friends and colleagues,                 [~Para Español, ver enlace al
final~]

This message is to share some news about a book, Selvas Tropicales, authored by
Rhett Butler, Jenny
Jacobs, and myself.  The book is written in Spanish and provides an overview
about tropical
rainforests, why they are important, and what is happening to them.  The book
is geared towards
students ages 10 and above, and is especially useful for Spanish-speaking youth
or Spanish-learners
who are also interested in tropical rainforests.  It can also be a useful
resource for students
participating in tropical biology courses and similar study-abroad programs in
Latin America, as it
may help communicate concepts and ideas with other students and local people in
Spanish.

We have set up a website, http://selvastropicales.org/, to disseminate part of
the book contents and
additional educational material.  The home page includes excerpts from the
book.  The following link
provides a brief description in English: http://selvastropicales.org/eng/

A similar edition of the book is available in English, and is based in
Mongabay's popular website for
young readers: Rainforests.

We also included a page where we will upload material for educators (in English
and Spanish).
Currently, teachers, students, and other interested people may download a
presentation (in both
languages) to use in the classroom or other settings.

A major goal of this project is to circulate the books widely to young people
(or schools) who may not
have the financial resources to buy them.  To meet this goal, we have set up a
page where visitors can
donate a book copy to a local school:
http://selvastropicales.org/help-students/

(This page describes how donations are used to cover the cost of producing the
books, delivering the
books to the schools, and a very small fraction covers the maintenance of the
website, which is
associated with Mongabay.org. Mongabay.org is a public charity focused on
raising awareness about
social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.)

We have donated book copies to several elementary schools in Northern
California, and additional
copies will be distributed in Peru in mid-2014.  Please help us disseminate
this news.  We hope that,
with your help, additional copies can be delivered to more schools in 2014!

Best regards,

Rudi von May, Jenny Jacobs, and Rhett Butler

Para ver esta información en Español, por favor sigue este enlace:
http://selvastropicales.org/educators/