Dear Ecologgers,

The Experimental Lakes Area (ELA) is a freshwater research facility in Northwestern Ontario, Canada that has operated as a government research program for over 45 years. After the Canadian Government announced that it would no longer fund the ELA program, operations were transferred to the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) in April 2014. IISD now needs additional funding to expand ELA’s vital legacy of research so that it can continue to find effective solutions to environmental problems affecting fresh water.

As IISD takes over the Experimental Lakes Area, initial funding has been secured to manage the facilities and conduct a minimum amount of research, and for this we are grateful. It is our goal, however, to rebuild the program to its former status and to help it *expand *and *thrive. *We are also striving to reduce the ELA’s reliance on government support so that it may never again be shuttered because of changes in policy.

With that in mind, please consider and distribute widely the current crowdfunding effort around the Experimental Lakes Area:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-leading-freshwater-research-facility-the-ela-needs-your-support

Thanks for your support and for helping to get the word out.

Sincerely,

Dr. Michael Rennie
Research Scientist, Experimental Lakes Area
Adjunct Professor, University of Manitoba