I agree with some of these items and disagree with others, and don't
really want to argue those points in this forum.
My bigger concern is that if this list is meant to come from a group
of scientists, it should include scientific data, rather than opinion
and hostility. Are there data that tenure promotes exploitation and
laziness? I wouldn't be surprised if there were, but expressing this
point as personal experience, rather than a statistical trend, is no
different than saying that global warming is a farce because it is
cold where I am today. I am less sure that there are data to support
spousal hires as "deplorable", "without merit" (surely there is SOME
merit, or nobody would do it), and reducing "innovation and
productivity in science". In my experience, I have seen such hires
work out incredibly well for departments and for the field of science,
but again, that is just my experience and may or may not reflect a
broader trend.
Although there are some good points to be made here, expressing them
in such a way is unlikely to convince scientifically-minded people (I
wish this meant "everybody").

---
Casey terHorst
Assistant Professor