Wavyleaf basketgrass is a relatively new (since 1996) invasive species in
Maryland. We've developed a cell phone app for the public to help collect
locations of wavyleaf basketgrass populations but are running into University
level IRB issues with minors being allowed to use the app. This app is freely
available to the general public (just search "wavyleaf" in your app store).
Users register, fill out a brief survey and then submit points as they hike
and find populations. We're going to change the registration process so that
if a user self-identifies as being under 18 they skip the survey and their
data will not be used in any published studies but they can still look for and
submit points. Our IRB office insists on having a signed parental consent form
for any minor that submits points as this is considered locational data. This
creates a logistical nightmare for us. I'm not even sure how we would go about
doing this. There are all sorts of other citizen science cell phone apps out
there where participants under 18 can easily submit locational data about
plants, birds, phenology, etc. I'm interested to hear how other groups have
dealt with this issue. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Vanessa