We would like to extend and invitation to any researchers interested in
presenting research on:
-insect dispersal
-dispersal and metacommunity dynamics
-dispersal and microcosms
-or other big questions about dispersal

We will be showcasing research on these topics at our symposium entitled:

A hitchhiker’s guide to the microcosmos: The challenges of dispersal

Conference: Entomological Society of America 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Date (tentative): 19 of November 2014

The symposium will consist of a combination of oral and poster
presentations. All presentations will be given priority based on order of
submission. The Ent. Soc. of America may be able to provide a limited amount
of funding to one or a few symposium participants.

Speakers at the symposium will be Dr. Ola Finke and Dr. Karl Cottenie among
others.

A further description of the symposium is here:
The main topic of discussion will be insect dispersal. We intend to
emphasize dispersal in the context of microcosm ecosystems (e.g. bromeliad,
tree hole, ephemeral pond) and their metacommunity. Since this is quite a
specific topic, we will be including broader talks about insect dispersal
that can be linked back to a discussion of microcosm ecosystems. We believe
that dispersal is often discussed amorphously despite being hugely important
for determining biological patterns. The goal of this symposium is to
identify how the use of microcosms as model systems can bring clarity and
precision to our understanding of dispersal.

Please fill out the questionnaire below and send to dominice (at)
pegasus.rutgers.edu  to apply.

Name:
Institutional affiliation:
Preferred email address:

I would like to submit a:
Research talk                           Research poster

Title of proposed presentation:

Abstract (should outline main research question, brief methodology and full
or partial results of the research; 400 word maximum):

Would you require funding to attend the symposium? (Note: Ent. Soc. may
provide funding for one speaker)

Taxonomic information on the insect most relevant to your presentation:

--
Merlijn Jocque, Dominic Evangelista & Jessica Ware
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey - Newark