Dear ESA Members:

Today, Wednesday, June 18th, 2014, the US Senate is scheduled to begin
debating its bill to increase funding for the National Science Foundation
(NSF) in fiscal year (FY) 2015. We are asking you to contact your senators
today if you agree increased funding for the National Science Foundation is
important for ecological science.

Step 1: Write your letter
Step 2:  Email your Senators,
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?
OrderBy=state&Sort=ASC

Email Subject Line: Please Support Science in S. 2437

Sample Letter

Dear (Insert your Senator’s name.),

I write to express my support for sustained science investment in S. 2437,
the Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies (CJS) Appropriations
Act of 2015.

I appreciate the bipartisan manner in which the committee developed this
bill and request that Senators oppose amendments that would undermine the
National Science Foundation’s (NSF) existing peer review process or cut
funding for STEM education, biological, geological, behavioral and social
sciences.

America’s efforts to innovate and maintain our global competitiveness depend
on sustained-federal funding for scientific research. If enacted, S. 2437
would provide $7.255 billion for NSF, which is $83 million higher than the
fiscal year (FY) 2014 enacted funding. This Senate’s budget number is lower
than the $7.4 billion included in the CJS House Appropriations bill passed
last month. Any further cuts would significantly hinder NSF’s budget
capacity to keep pace with inflation.

The legislation also contains $5.4 billion for the National Oceanic
Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), a $105 million increase over the FY 2014
enacted level. I urge you to reject any amendments that would cut NOAA’s
climate research funding. The data provided from climate research is crucial
for management efforts related to drought, flooding, and torrential storms
and also helps our nation understand long-term trends in atmospheric
changes.

I appreciate Senate Appropriations Chairwoman Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) and
House CJS Appropriations Chairman Frank Wolf (R-VA) for their collaborative
bicameral work in supporting sustained investment in federal research. My
hope is for a final conference bill, agreed upon by Congress this fall,
which sustains critical investment in scientific research that allows our
nation to innovate and maintain our global competitiveness.

Sincerely,
(Insert your name.)