We are seeking two highly motivated students to pursue a Ph.D. or M.S. in
Natural Resources at the
Department of Forest, Rangeland and Fire Sciences at the University of Idaho
with a focus in fire
ecology. Two research assistantships are available on a Joint Fire Science
funded project. The project
focuses on how vegetation recovery and fuel conditions in past fires influence
fuels and future fire
management in five western U.S. ecosystems. We collaborate with the Rocky
Mountain Research
Station of the US Forest Service. We will re-measure existing plots and
additional plots to fill
landscape-level stratifications at 15 fires that burned in five different
ecosystems in Washington,
Oregon, Idaho, Montana, California, South Dakota, Colorado, and Alaska.
Applicants should have
spatial analysis skills, quantitative skills, fieldwork experience, and an
interest in fire ecology. Strong
writing skills, the ability to communicate effectively, and the desire to work
in a team are essential.

All assistantships will have duration of two years for MS and three years for
PhD, starting in August
2014 or January 2015. All assistantships include a stipend of $17,500
‐ $21,000 per annum and a
waiver of out-of-state tuition. The university is an AA/EEO employer and
encourages applications
from women and minorities. For more information, contact Eva Strand
(e...@uidaho.edu), Beth
Newingham (b...@uidaho.edu), or Penny Morgan (pmor...@uidaho.edu).

To apply, please email Eva Strand (e...@uidaho.edu) a cover letter describing
your research
interests, goals and relevant experience, a complete CV, college transcripts,
GRE scores and contact
information of three referees. Review of applications will begin immediately,
and the positions will
remain open until a suitable candidate is found. After selection, the
successful candidate will apply
to be admitted to the College of Graduate Studies of the University of Idaho;
detailed information
about the application procedure is available online at
www.uidaho.edu/graduateadmissions.