I'm not a chemist nor an environmental guru of any sort, but I am attempting to
figure out if sampling the meiofauna in the hyporheic zone of a river would
give me any clues about the presence or absence of VOCs in the groundwater near
an old factory.  Currently a brownfield redevelopment site, this building and a
nearby machine tool factory used TCE (trichloroethylene) as a solvent/degreaser
until at least 1970.  There are groundwater wells already in place and
apparently monitored, but I'm interested more in the river itself -- could the
TCE (and other VOCs) be finding their way to the river via groundwater?  I can
provide more details of the history and topography of the site, but my main
question is whether it might be worth my time looking for interstitial
organisms?  I am reading that some (many?) are sensitive to metals, but I have
not had much luck finding out about VOCs like TCE.

Many thanks,
Kelly Stettner, Director

BlackRiver Action Team (BRAT)...be part of the solution!

101 Perley Gordon Road
Springfield, VT  05156     http://www.BlackRiverActionTeam.org