Well, lets examine the reasoning in this last post (for convenience --
parallels can be found in several posts in this thread).  GREs don't work for
some.  Scrap them.  So we establish the precedent that, if a measure does not
always predict the ability of an applicant, it is worthless.

Lets apply our algorithm to other measures commonly used as factors in
acceptance decisions.  GPA?  Grade inflation, out with it!  Personal
statements?  Often written by committee of applicants friends and relatives.
Out with it!  Publications?  Many undergraduates go to schools without
undergraduate research opportunities and must use what time they have after
going to class and studying working to pay the rent and food bills, so out with
publications.  Require an undergraduate degree?  It is not impossible that an
applicant, studying on his or her own, could educate his- or herself adequately
enough to do well in graduate school (Recall famous scientists without terminal
degrees), so out with degrees.

In fact, this razor will cut away any attempt to evaluate applicants and we
have reached the last post's ideal:  total equality in education.  All
applicants simply assigned numbers and acceptances meted out with a random
number table.

I was a student from a small school with absolutely no reputation in science
(deservedly so).  After being accepted into grad school, I was told that it was
my GRE scores that had been the decisive factor.  Odd that.  That evil company
actually contributing to a poor student's (I was unemployed and very poor when
the acceptance letter arrived) opportunity at grad school.  Anomaly?  Evidence
for the utility of GREs?  Just another anecdote?

This thread has gotten to be just grousing.  The original post asked an
interesting question.  What to do when indicators disagree?  No one has posted
a really good answer to that conundrum (guess that's what makes it a
conundrum).   Everyone seems to be willing to contribute an anecdote but we
aren't politicians, we're scientists.  Anyone got any data?

Phil Ganter
Biological Sciences
Tennessee State University
Nashville, TN