Positions (MS/PhD) are available in Anne Leonard’s lab at the University of
Nevada, Reno for Fall 2015. Our group focuses on plant-pollinator
interactions, with an emphasis on the cognitive ecology of pollination and
the functional ecology of floral signals and rewards. We study how bees
perceive and learn floral stimuli using lab, greenhouse, and field-based
approaches. While students have the opportunity to develop their own
research focus, the behavioral and nutritional ecology of pollen foraging in
bumblebees is a topic of particular interest in our group, as part of an
NSF-funded collaboration with colleagues at the University of Arizona
(Daniel Papaj and Stephen Buchmann).

The Biology Department at UNR has particular strengths in plant-animal
interactions, animal behavior, and sensory/chemical ecology. Reno is
situated in the high desert on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada
mountain range, 30 minutes from scenic Lake Tahoe and 3 hours from the San
Francisco Bay Area. It offers a high quality of life, a low cost of living,
and close proximity to a wide variety of field sites.

Applicants should visit the Leonard lab webpage (www.anneleonard.com), as
well as the website for the doctoral program in Ecology, Evolution and
Conservation Biology (www.unr.edu/eecb) or the MS program in Biology
(www.unr.edu/biology/degree-programs) for admissions requirements and
application information. All applicants should also plan to contact
anneleon...@unr.edu directly with their research interests/experiences and
CV before December 1st, 2014.