Graduate opportunity with Mike McCoy in the Department of Biology at East
Carolina University.

Research in my lab addresses a broad range of questions in population,
community and behavioral ecology, and biodiversity and ecosystem function with
a strong emphasis on quantitative approaches. Much (but not all) of my research
is focused on understanding how variation (e.g. in size, stage, behavior,
morphology) affects population and community level processes and spatial
coupling across ecosystems.

Within this broader context, my current research program can be loosely
summarized into five interrelated conceptual themes; 1) body size dependence of
ecological interactions, 2) cross ecosystem links formed by complex life
cycles, 3) adaptation to climate change and sea level rise, 4) understanding
predator diversity effects, and 5) development/application  of innovative
experimental and quantitative approaches. I have also worked in a wide variety
of systems including; temperate, tropical, terrestrial, aquatic, and marine
ecosystems.

I will consider students with interests in a variety of topics and systems
(including but not restricted to those in which I work) and that address
complementary and interesting questions.

For additional information about me, my research and the application process
please visit:
http://blog.ecu.edu/sites/mccoym/prospective-students/
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/biology/McCoy_Michael.cfm

About ECU
East Carolina University is the third largest campus in the University of NC
system and has an active and well-supported group of faculty working in the
areas of ecology and evolution. PhD students accepted into the
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in Biological Sciences will receive at least
two years of support with no teaching obligations and at least five years of
support total, at a very competitive level. TA-ships are readily available in
two MS programs and Biology faculty members also supervise students in ECU's
Coastal Resource Management PhD program. Graduate students will be encouraged
to participate in the newly formed North Carolina Center for Biodiversity
(NCCB) at East Carolina University. Goals of the NCCB include training graduate
students in biodiversity research and providing them opportunities to
participate in related outreach.

Students enjoy living in the affordable community of Greenville, NC,
participating in seminar series and journal clubs that feature research in
ecology and evolution, and having access to several natural areas, universities
and research centers located in central and eastern NC. Application deadlines
vary with particular programs but applying early is recommended. Please visit
http://www.ecu.edu/biology/ <http://www.ecu.edu/biology/> to find out more
about the Biology department at ECU and graduate programs.