We are recruiting a postdoctoral fellow and field research assistant to join
our research group at the
University of Colorado Boulder. Details about the positions are listed below.
Projects in the lab are
broadly focused on community ecology, with an emphasis on biodiversity, plant
invasions,
environmental change, and restoration.

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW: PLANT COMMUNITY ECOLOGY A postdoctoral position in
community
ecology is available in the research group of Katharine Suding at the
University of Colorado Boulder.
The successful candidate will be part of a NSF-funded project to explore how
changes in precipitation
influence the engineering (soil alteration, burrowing) and non-engineering
(seed predation, herbivory)
effects of a keystone species, the federally-endangered Giant Kangaroo Rat, on
plant community
structure.

We are excited to work with someone with strong quantitative skills, a
demonstrated publication
record, and expertise in nutrient cycling, ecophysiology, and/or community
ecology. Abilities in field
experimental work (e.g., rainfall manipulations) and organizing research teams
are also highly
desirable. The position will begin as soon as a qualified candidate is found,
no later than March 2015,
and is available for at least two years. Position will be based at University
of Colorado and will involve
collaboration with the Prugh (Univ Alaska) and Brashares (Univ California
Berkeley) lab groups.
Fieldwork (which largely occurs in Spring) will require travel to the Carrizo
Plains National Monument
(San Luis Obispo County, California). Salary will be commensurate with
experience.

Review of postdoctoral candidates will begin January 30, 2015. To apply, email
a research statement
including a curriculum vitae, relevant publications, and names of two
references to
suding...@gmail.com. Please include your last name and position (postdoc) in
the subject line.

RESEARCH ASSISTANT: FUNCTIONAL DIVERSITY AND GLOBAL CHANGE We are looking for
someone
with a Bachelor’s degree in biology or environmental science to join our group
as a full-time field
(seasonal) research assistant. They will join an USDA-funded project relating
functional diversity and
ecosystem resilience to precipitation variation. This position requires good
communication,
organization, and problem-solving skills, willingness to work outside in
sometimes harsh conditions,
and a valid driver’s license. Experience in field work, experimental design,
botany, and/or soil or
biochemistry techniques is desirable.

The position will be based primarily at a field site near Grass Valley,
California (Sierra Foothill
Research and Extension Center). Shared housing at the research station will be
provided. Start date is
flexible, a date in March 2015 preferred. Position will run to mid- May with
the possibility of
extension into the summer in Colorado. Salary will be commensurate with
experience.

Review of research assistant candidates will begin January 30, 2015. To apply,
email a cover letter,
curriculum vitae and names of two references to suding...@gmail.com. Please
include your last name
and position (research assistant) in the subject line.

The University of Colorado Boulder is an equal opportunity employer committed
to excellence through
diversity.