Job Title: Ph.D. applications to work with the wild (feral) horses of Sable
Island, Nova Scotia: focus on ecology and evolution and/or conservation.

Location: University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Closing: Will need to contact me as soon as possible to put together an
application for internal scholarship, due Thursday, March 5, 2015. Start date
is negotiable, but ideally students would be available July 1 or August 1 for
immediate field work. Application for the scholarship will require an
application to the U of S College of Graduate Studies and Research (online)
well ahead of time, and to meet the deadline for the scholarship applications
should be submitted asap (small online fee), i.,e., by early February.
Students must have a record of publication in mainstream peer-reviewed
journals and GPA of 3.8 or higher (to be competitive for this scholarship
opportunity).

Apply: Email me a CV and pdf copies of both undergrad and graduate
transcripts.  Email to philip.mclough...@usask.ca.  Please write “Sable
Island PhD” as the subject line.

program of research into the ecology and evolution of the feral horses living
on Sable Island, Nova Scotia.  As part of this initiative, I am looking to
recruit a Ph.D. student to ask fundamental questions of the population
ecology, life history, behaviour, conservation, and/or evolution of the feral
horse population.  I am particularly looking for a mature M.Sc. student that
is interested in developing a Ph.D. program that will contribute to and make
use of the long-term dataset my lab is collecting on the life histories of
the horses on the island, and collaborate with geneticists aligned with our
program.  This summer was the seventh year of data collection, which includes
summer censusing and identification of all individuals on the island using
digital photography, and documentation of individual life histories with the
goal of constructing whole-island pedigrees. Sample sizes are large, with 552
horses alive on the island in Aug 2014. Ph.D. students with 2–3 years of
further data collection will be in a position to ask interesting questions
regarding the population’s mating system, landscape and conservation
genetics, individual-based dynamics, band dynamics and dispersal, behaviour
and dominance, habitat selection, social networks, sex ratios and sexual
selection, and questions involving traits such as intestinal parasite
communities, body size and coloration patterns. Trends in the above will
likely be related to a very strong and interesting gradient in habitat
quality along the length of Sable Island from west to east, associated with
availability of preferred forage and access to fresh water (horse density
drops by half from west to east). We are also very interested in students
with a background in conservation biology as we are currently developing a
research theme examining the risks inherent to small populations like that on
Sable, including inbreeding depression and demographic stochasticity.

Field work on Sable Island is a team effort, and all students must be
prepared to contribute to common aspects of field work and assist others with
their projects in addition to working on their own research program. The
former will include daily walking censuses and photography of horses,
identifying individuals from digital photographs, database management, and
collection of samples. All projects on the island flow from the individual-
based study of the horse population, and contributing to the overall success
of each field season is a requirement. For this particular application we are
looking for a field team leader, and a demonstrated ability to fill such a
role will be considered an asset. The successful student must work well in
teams, deal well with life in a remote research station, be able to travel
for field work for up to 2 months per summer by small airplane, fishing
trawler, helicopter, or frigate; accept the limited diet available in remote
field camps (with communal cooking), and be reasonably fit (as walking
censuses require lots of hiking). Courses on first aid and driving All
Terrain Vehicles will be provided prior to field work. Field work will occur
principally in late summer on Sable Island; further information on this field
site can be found at my lab website, http://mcloughlinlab.ca/lab/

It is important for applicants to be mature enough to develop their own
insightful questions. That said, our lab is following several lines of
research that potential students may want to build on. Current students are
studying or have studied spatial heterogeneity in horse population growth on
the island, stress as it relates to band structure and dynamics from cortisol
(from hair), parasites, dispersal, body size, condition, patterns in
vegetation and successional dynamics, and spatial heterogeneity in isotopic
signatures from vegetation samples and animal tissues to develop isoscapes
from seal and seabird transfer of marine-derived nutrients onto the island.
Opportunities to publish in good journals and set oneself up for a career in
academia may be found here. Students can expect to publish outside of one’s
own thesis topic as part of whole-lab research questions.

Preference will be given to students that aspire to a career in academia and
who have a track record that reflects this career goal. In addition to
obtaining scholarships, students will be expected to apply for and help
secure research funding for their own projects.  Students and post-docs with
funding in-hand are always welcome.

Interested applicants should contact me as soon as possible by email
(philip.mclough...@usask.ca), and be prepared to submit a current CV with
copies of transcripts.  Website: http://mcloughlinlab.ca/lab/