I am seeking a Ph.D. student to pursue interdisciplinary research in the field
of geospatial sciences. The student will pursue a Ph.D. in Geospatial Science
and Engineering, an interdisciplinary program at South Dakota State University,
and will have the opportunity to develop independent research related to one of
my ongoing projects. The Epidemic Prognosis Incorporating Disease and
Environmental Monitoring for Integrated Assessment (EPIDEMIA) project is aimed
at identifying environmental risk factors and developing predictive models for
outbreaks of vector-borne and zoonotic diseases. Results are being applied to
forecast and map human West Nile virus disease in the United States and
epidemic malaria in the highlands of East Africa. The Coupled Human and Natural
Geospatial Environments (CHANGE) project focuses on analysis and spatial
simulation modeling of human land use, natural disturbance regimes, and
landscape-scale vegetation dynamics. We are currently using satellite remote
sensing and spatial simulation models to explore coupled human and natural
landscape dynamics in the United States and West Africa.

Applicants should have a master's degree in ecology, geography, environmental
science, or a closely related discipline along with a background in spatial
epidemiology, landscape ecology, land change science, or other appropriate
field. Familiarity with geographic information systems, remote sensing
experience, computer programming skills and knowledge of the R environment are
all highly desirable.

A graduate research assistantship with stipend and reduced tuition is available
starting in fall of 2015. To apply for this position, send the following
information in electronic form to the address below: Curriculum vitae, 1-page
statement of research interests, and copies of transcripts.

Michael C. Wimberly
michael.wimbe...@sdstate.edu
Professor and Senior Scientist
Geospatial Sciences Center of Excellence
Wecota Hall 506B
South Dakota State University
Brookings, SD 57007-3510
(605) 688-5350