AERS Spring Meeting
Date: 12-14 March, 2015

The Deadline is February 20 for:
• Registration
• Abstract Submission
• Ann C. Powel Student Travel Award

Thursday Workshops:
Be sure to check the attached schedule - we are expanding our Thursday
programming!
• Mid-Atlantic Coastal Atlas Workshop
• Student Employment Workshop

Venue: UNC Coastal Studies Institute (CSI), Wanchese, NC
http://csi.northcarolina.edu/

Who Should Submit An Abstract? You! Who, me? Yes, you! AERS welcomes abstracts
on ALL topics of estuarine and coastal sciences and environmental issues and
policies as well as intersections with all social sciences. We encourage
abstract submissions from students, scientists, managers, and educators from
Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and
Washington D.C. It is our intent to foster a broad interest in our environment
by increasing public awareness of current issues.

Theme: Our keynote speakers will be talking about “Blue Carbon”: Estuarine
ecosystems, because of their high productivity and carbon sequestration in
seagrasses, marshes, mangroves, and “black” carbon (in peat, sediments, and
mudflats), and their lack of inclusion in most carbon storage models, are some
of the best ways we may have to achieve a carbon neutral future. We have
arranged a series of informative workshops, field trips, poster sessions, and
contributed paper sessions on estuarine topics with student awards.

Keynotes:
Dr. Hans Pearl, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Institute of
Marine Sciences (note: Thursday evening keynote address)
Dr. Robert Twilley, Louisiana Sea Grant / Louisiana State University
Dr. Siddhartha Mitra, East Carolina University

Banquet: Pamlico Jack’s Pirate Ship Restaurant

Field Trips:
Nags Head Woods (Thursday)
Jennette’s Pier (Thursday)
Outer Banks Environments (Saturday)
Trawling on R/V Riggs (Saturday)

Lodging:
A block of rooms at the Comfort Inn in Nags Head has been secured until
February 19th at great rates ($59 - $99/night). You can reserve a room by
calling them at (252) 441-6315 and mentioning AERS.

We thank our early sponsors: CERF, ECU Biology, ECU Institute for Coastal
Science and Policy, ECU Office Diving and Water safety, North Carolina Sea
Grant, UNC Coastal Studies Institute (CSI), Virginia Sea Grant, and YSI.

Again, our Local Hosts at East Carolina University have done a terrific job!
Thank you Joe Luczkovich, Tom Allen, Christine Avenarius, Robert Christian,
Reide Corbett, David Griffith, David Kimmel, Sid Mitra, Hans Vogelsong, JP
Walsh, Enrique Reyes, and Robert McClendon!

See you in North Carolina!

Cheers,
Ben Fertig, Cassie Gurbisz
AERS Program Committee