CenUSA Bioenergy - hosted by Iowa State University
2015 Research Internship for Undergraduates
Internship Dates:  May 28 - August 1
Application Due:  March 16
http://cenusa.iastate.edu/cenusa-internship-program

The summer 2015 CenUSA Bioenergy Research Internship Experience for
Undergraduates will provide rich interdisciplinary training and engagement
opportunities for undergraduate students in all areas of the bioenergy value
chain to meet the workforce challenges of the emerging bioeconomy.

The research internship program will enroll a class of 20 students, with all
students spending the first 5 days of the program at the Iowa State
University host site. While a portion of the students will remain at Iowa
State University, several students will then travel to one of CenUSA's
partner institutions (depending on their research interests) to complete
their summer program at a partner lab.  This summer, our students will be
working on research projects at Iowa State University, the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln, Purdue University, the University of Wisconsin-Madison,
the USDA National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research in Peoria,
Illinois, and at our industry partner, Archer Daniels Midland.  All students
will maintain in contact with the program through distance technologies for
weekly meetings, seminars, and final presentations.  Our research
undergraduate interns will select from projects in the following areas
(http://cenusa.iastate.edu/research-projects):
 - Feedstock Development
 - Field-Level Sustainability
 - Logistics
 - Policy-Level Sustainability
 - Feedstock Conversion Economics
 - Markets and Distribution
 - Health and Safety

Selected undergraduate interns will gain practical research skills in
computer modeling, field methods, and/or experimental design by conducting
independent projects under the guidance of experienced faculty and research
scientists.  Other activities of our CenUSA Bioenergy Internship Program are
designed for social, leadership, and professional development of the
undergraduate participants.  Students selected for the program will work on
interdisciplinary teams with faculty, graduate students, post-docs, and in
some cases industry partners.

PROGRAM INCLUDES:
 - Hands-on research in state-of-the-art facilities
 - Seminars, workshops, and field trips
 - Group social activities and closing poster session
 - Program dates:  May 28 - August 1

ELIGIBILITY:
 - Undergraduate students majoring in science or engineering
 - U.S. citizen or permanent resident
 - Minorities and women strongly encouraged to apply

AWARD:
 - $4,500 stipend
 - Travel allowance
 - Room and Board

The final application deadline is March 16.  To apply, please visit:
http://cenusa.iastate.edu/apply

Selections will be based on a combination of research interests, academic
qualifications, and faculty recommendations.  Faculty recommendations must
be received by March 20.  All admission decisions will be made by late April.

If you have any specific questions about the program, please contact MaryAnn
Moore, mamo...@iastate.edu or 515.294.4249.

MaryAnn Moore
Program Coordinator - ABE . CBiRC . CenUSA
Iowa State University
4306C Elings Hall
Ames, IA  50011